Margaret's story of how the Transporter Bridge helped her 'Seize the Day'




Margaret Lovett tells us why she wanted to walk along the top of the Transporter Bridge a week before she had her hip operation. This was a visit arranged by the Friends of Newport Museum and Art Gallery of which Margaret and her husband Colin are members. It took place on 16th July 2019 and Emma Newrick was our guide. 


Margaret writes:-

I wanted to do it because I love a challenge and had been meaning to climb to the top ever since I moved to South Wales nearly 50 years ago. I had learned that the bridge was one of only a tiny number still operational in the world. Of course there is only one other in the UK. (The Tees Transporter Bridge, also referred to as the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge.)

It was closed for ten years in 1985 and then again for 2 years in 2008, so my opportunities were dwindling! I had an upcoming hip replacement op the following week and the outcome was far from certain so "carpe diem"!  As I am very inquisitive, and like to know the why? when? and how? of everything, the opportunity to go along with FONMAG provided an additional incentive. So loading myself up with all the painkillers I could find and dragging my hesitant husband with me (he doesn't have a great head for heights), we had a great adventure and saw Newport from a different perspective!

Photos taken by Margaret as she walked along the walkway.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Friends help construct the Transporter Bridge Garden

Cutting the sod for the contruction of the new visitor's centre

Newport Transporter Bridge in Film by Richard Frame